The sizes of photos and other formats on Instagram are constantly changing, which means that your latest content might look completely wrong and pixelated if you don’t use the right sizes. The different dimensions and image sizes can be difficult to find, which is why we have provided a guide to the latest sizes right here.
In our Instagram cheat sheet 2021 you will find the latest sizes, so your content has the right sizes in 2021.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO USE THE RIGHT SIZES ON INSTAGRAM?
You can both win and lose a lot if your formats are wrong. You, your content manager or your graphic designer may have spent an enormous amount of time creating some great content that ends up looking completely wrong. You must therefore be aware:
- That your images are not stretched or pixelated making sure that your target audience sees your brand as professional. You can very quickly look unprofessional if the content is not set up properly.
- That your images are optimized and scaled to fit the feed on the social media platform which you want to post the content on. It can have a positive effect on your engagement.
- That what you want to communicate with your content easily can be lost if the most central and important part of your content is misplaced so that it is cut out of the image when it is displayed to your target audience.
- That if you choose to use stock images, that you make sure to not violate the rules of copyright and that they are of high quality.
INSTAGRAM IMAGE SIZES
On Instagram, you can both use content that is horizontal or vertical. Instagram was originally known for their square photos, which you can also continue to make use of. However, we recommend that you do not use square content, as you can more easily stand out from the crowd with horizontal or vertical images.
Sizes for profile pictures
Size: 320 x 320 pixels.
Instagram profile pictures are displayed in 320 x 320 pixels. Therefore, it is important that your profile picture is at least that size. The most important thing is that you take into account that your profile picture is displayed with a round frame, so if you place something in the corners it can’t be seen. Make sure to center the most important thing in your image.
Sizes for photos in the feed
- Horizontal: at least 1080 x 566 pixels.
- Vertical: at least 1080 x 1350 pixels.
- Square: at least 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Supported aspect ratios: Anything between 1.91: 1 and 4: 5.
Recommended image size:
- Width: 1080 pixels.
- Height: between 566 and 1350 pixels (depending on whether the image is horizontal or vertical).
- To get the most out of your photos, we recommend a width of 1080 pixels.
- If you share an image that is over 1080 pixels wide, Instagram automatically reduces the size to 1080 pixels.
- Images smaller than 320 pixels are formatted to 320 pixels. This will make your image look very pixelated.
- As long as your image is between 320 and 1080 pixels wide, Instagram will not format the original format of the image as long as it has a aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5. This corresponds to a height of between 566 and 1350 pixels, depending on the width you use.
- If your image has a different aspect ratio, Instagram will crop your image to fit one of the supported aspect ratios.
SIZES FOR MINIATURE PICTURES ON PROFILES
- Display size: 161 x 161 pixels.
- Recommended size: 1080 pixels in width (height depends on your aspect ratio).
- Instagram saves versions of your thumbnails up to 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- You can secure your photos against future changes from Instagram by uploading your photos as large as possible.
SIZES FOR STORIES
- To match the vertical format that Stories is, we recommend: 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Stories is a format intended for the 9:16 aspect ratio.
- If you don’t use 9:16, you risk that your story will be cropped unintentionally, that Instagram zooms the image in an unintentional way or that large parts of the screen are without the content.
- In 2020, Instagram introduced Reels, which is Instagram’s attempt to compete with TikTok. Reels use the same aspect ratio as Stories.
SIZE OF CAROUSEL ON INSTAGRAM
- Horizontal: 1080 x 566 pixels.
- Vertical: 1080 x 1350 pixels.
- Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Horizontal: 1.91:1.
- Vertical: 4:5.
- Square: 1:1.
- Recommended size: 1080 pixels in width and either 566 or 1350 pixels depending on whether your image is horizontal or vertical.
SIZES FOR ADS IN THE FEED ON INSTAGRAM
- Vertical: 1080 x 566 pixels.
- Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Width: between 320 and 1080 pixels.
- Supported aspect ratios: 1.91:1 and 4:5.
- Ads in the feed can contain a maximum of 30 hashtags.
SIZES FOR ADS IN STORIES ON INSTAGRAM
- Size: 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Instagram recommends that approx. 14% of the image, which is equivalent to 250 pixels in both the top and bottom of the image, is free of text. Then you ensure that the text is not covered by other functions in the view for the user.
- In the US and a few other countries, Facebook, which owns Instagram, has removed a rule that text may not exceed 20% of your image. However, the rule still applies in Denmark, and your ad may therefore be rejected if the text makes up more than 20% of the image.